What is CANDO?
CANDO is the Board of Nursing's non-disciplinary, confidential monitoring program for chemically dependent nurses, who meet the eligibility/admission criteria into CANDO, and who voluntarily enter into the program.
What do the letters C.A.N.D.O stand for?
Chemically Addicted Nurses Diversion Option
How do nurses get referred to the CANDO program?
- Self Referral
- Licensure Renewal/Endorsement/Application
- Employer Referral
- Legal Agencies/Other Regulatory Referral
- Other Community Referral
What is the purpose/intent of the CANDO program?
To provide for the public's safety and welfare through the early detection, treatment and monitoring of chemically dependent nurses.
What are the components of the CANDO Agreement?
- Three Years
- Chemical Dependency Treatment
- AA/NA Attendance
- Nurse Recovery Group Attendance
- Random Drug Screening
- Abstain from all potentially addicting drugs, including alcohol
- Nursing Employer/School of Nursing Involvement
- Work Restrictions
- Medical Care Provider Involvement
Why is the CANDO Agreement a three year agreement?
Chemical Dependency is a disease where relapse is common. In an effort to develop a strong recovery foundation and ensure public safety, licensees in CANDO must demonstrate a minimum of three years of recovery.
Do other states have a similar program for chemically dependent nurses?
Yes, there are over 25 states with similar programs and several other states in the process of obtaining approval or implementing a diversion program for chemically dependent nurses.
How do I find out more about CANDO?
By calling the Arizona State Board of Nursing's CANDO Program at (602) 771-7800 and choose option 4.
Document and Form Downloads
- AA / NA Attendance Form
- Aftercare Form
- CANDO Program FAQs
- Consent for Mutual Disclosure
- Employment / School Acknowledgement Letter
- Individual / Group Counseling Report Form
- Individual / Group Counseling Report Letter
- Letter to the Nursing Employer
- Letter to the Rehabilitation Program
- Medical Provider Report
- Notification of Address / Phone Changes
- Nurse Recovery Group List
- Performance Evaluation Report
- Self-Report Form